Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wood shop stinks...

For my second semester classes I decided to try out wood shop, because if I learned how to make different crafts then I could put them in my future house as memories and furniture. When I first started wood shop I did very well on the quizzes and tests, which made me think I was going to excel in this class. My first project was a widget, and I thought I was going to do very well at that, turns out my "awesome" luck kicked in and I got stuck with the piece of wood with a fat knot in it, which made the wood harder to cut. I started cutting with a manual saw trying to avoid the knot. Then, when I was cutting I my vice got loosened, resulting in me cutting diagonally across my wood, and leaving a curved and extremely uneven cut. My next too cuts had the same thing happen to them except for different causes. I was starting to really not like my experience here and I felt retarded when the teacher had to help me, almost to the point that it was his project more than mine. The next part of the project was to cut two Dados, which is what the picture is. I am sorry to say but right now at 9:02 pm my mom is telling me to turn off the computer, so...um...ya... I am going to have to get this done soon, so I apologize for any really obvious grammar mistakes. Anyways back to my story, I am cutting the Dado and the teacher sees that I am having trouble and basically does the Dado for me, I thank him and wished that he would do the other one because there is going to be a big difference between mine and his. I started cutting and I was doing pretty well, next I had to take a chisel and take out the rest of the wood. I was also surprisingly doing pretty well at that, and then I got carried away and thought it was awesome that I was completely wrecking the wood. I realized that I had a huge gouge in the bottom and my cuts were too deep and then worst of all the entire Dado was way too freaking huge to securely hold my wood in place. When I saw this I just felt destroyed. Now I have to stay after school on Friday because I want a good grade, so I am doing the whole project over again. Hyperlink-www.whitworthbuilders.com/ MyBlog

imgres.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I really dislike wood shop class too. Nice post about it though. My class is worse though because everyone in it is a redneck. At least you get Dreier in your class, I love that man...

    ReplyDelete